Japan Lumpsum Pension Refund, Tax Return - YouAT LLC

英語 日本語 中国語
Please count on us for Japan's pension and tax refund
英語 日本語 中国語
Please count on us for pension and tax refund

Pension Topics


To claim your pension refund (lump-sum withdrawal payments) and / or tax refund, you only have to send necessary forms and copy to our office with a postal service, either from inside Japan or outside Japan.
The guidance and the set of claiming forms will be sent to you using emails, so you don’t have to visit our office at all.



(1) From August 2017 persons who have contributed Japanese pensions for 10 years or over will be granted a qualification of Japanese old age pension. After qualified, they won’t be allowed to claim a lump-sum pension refund (lump-sum withdrawal payments).
(2) Persons who once acquired Permanent Residency will be also granted a qualification of old age pension, if "oversea years (outside Japan) since age 20 to the period PR acquired" + "pension contribution years" get to 10 years or over.
(3) Please note that persons of (1) and (2) won’t be allowed to claim lump-sum pension refund after August 2017.




YouAT LLC launches a new service as well as a new website.
It aims for old age person’s (over 60-65 years old) Japanese old age pension claiming.
Japanese old age pensions (Kokumin Nekin, Kosei Nenkin etc) can be claimed both Japanese citizens and non-Japanese citizens if they fill the conditions.
Since August 2017 pension contributors for over 10 years are entitled to claiming Japanese old age pensions.
But there is a difficulty for non-Japanese to claim Japanese old age pensions, so we give you our skilled service in this field too.
Please see our new website if you get interested.


We will also give you our service for claiming lump-sum pension refunds (for short-period contributors) & tax refunds, of course.








Minimum period for a qualification to claim old age pension (after 65 years old) is to change from 25 to 10 years since Aug 2017.




Japan has "International Social Security Agreement(社会保障協定, しゃかいほしょうきょうてい)" with foreign countries (See the table below)

People whose home countries have "International Social Security Agreements" with Japan are given "Elimination of Dual Coverage". "Elimination of Dual Coverage" is an agreement that prevents people from being enrolled in two countries’ pensions at the same time, and which of pension they are to be enrolled in is decided by conditions ruled by each of agreement.

And some "Agreements" can, according to their contents, give people "Totalization of Periods of Coverage". When "Totalization of Periods Coverage" is applied, people can totalize a period they contribute to Japan’s pension with a period they will contribute (or had contributed) to their home countries’ pensions, and vice versa (*).
(*) Please note that it doesn’t mean that Japan’s pension and other countries’ pensions will be paid at once. Totalizaion of Periods of Coverage can only allow contributors of Japan’s pension to get a qualification for receiving Japan’s old age pension, and they will receive old age pension from Japanese government if they claim it after age 65, according to their contribution to Japan’s pension system.

Contents of "Agreements" vary county by country. So please understand how "Agreement" of your home county is. But we show the list of countries that have "Agreement" with Japan and have "Totalization of Periods of Coverage" in them, as of August 2018.

International Social Security Agreements (As of September 2019)

(Made from a table in Japan Pension Service’s website)

Countries to have agreementsTotalization of Periods of Coverage
United KingdomNo
South KoreaNo
Czech RepublicYes
People’s Republic of ChinaNo

Developments of agreements for countries other than above as of Sep. 2019 are as follows:

*Italy, Sweden and Finland have already signed social security agreement with Japan, but now are waiting for its implementation. When implemented, though, the agreement of Italy won’t cover above "Totalization of Periods of Coverage".

For details of agreements of each country, see this page.


The following tables are only the rough estimation of Japanese pension refunds called “Pension’s Lump-sum Payments”.
We YouAT LLC can get a research of more precise estimated sum of your “Payments” in Japanese pension offices when you contact us, and show you it before you decide to let us carry out your pension refunds.

(NOTE!) It is possible that the following tables will change in 2020 or after, in a manner that more refund amounts are paid to persons who work over 3 years (up to 5 years).

1.Employees’ Pension Insurance

Employees’ Pension Insurance (厚生年金, こうせいねんきん) covers people who are employed by companies.

Foreign people employed by companies in Japan will contribute to this system.

Following tables show some calculated examples of estimated sum of pension refunds (Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments).

The accurate sum you will receive needs to be calculated with your own information.

(EXAMPLE) In the case that the last month of payment is between Sep. 2017 and Aug. 2019

Average Standard RemunerationCoverage MonthsEstimated Lump-sum
200,00036 or more660,000(*)

Average Standard RemunerationCoverage MonthsEstimated Lump-sum
400,00036 or more1,320,000(*)


Average Standard RemunerationCoverage MonthsEstimated Lump-sum
600,00036 or more1,980,000(*)

[NOTE1] (*) App. 20% of them are withheld as income tax.
[NOTE2] "Average Standard Remuneration" shown above tables is calculated from the average of your salaries and bonuses you receive between the period you pay your pension. Please note that it isn’t necessarily the same as the average of your REAL salaries & bonuses.
[NOTE3] The sum of Lump-sum Payments are calculated by yen. When they are transferred into the bank accounts you designate, they will be exchanged from yen into a certain currency according to your accounts.

2.National Pension

National Pension (国民年金,こくみんねんきん) is the basic pension which covers people not employed by companies or public offices, that is, for example, the self-employed persons.

Lump-sum Payments of National Pension vary, like Employees’ Pension, according to both number of coverage months you contribute pension and when the last month of your contribution is. The following table shows the Lump-sum Payments of them.

(EXAMPLE) In the case that the last month of payment is between Apr. 2018 and Mar. 2019

Numbers of your contributed monthsPeyments Amount(yen)
6-11 months49,020
12-18 months98,040
18-24 months147,060
24-30 months196,080
30-36 months245,100
more than 36 months294,120

The sum of Lump-sum Payments are calculated by yen. When they are transferred into the bank accounts you designate, they will be exchanged from yen into a certain currency according to your accounts.


Since July 9, 2012 a new residency management system for foreigners (在留管理制度) has started.

Under the new system you foreigners are registered in the “Resident Registration (住民登録[jumin toroku, じゅうみんとうろく] in Japanese)” at the municipal office where each of you lives.

If you foreigners wish to claim your pension refunds (pension’s lump-sum withdrawal payments) after leaving Japan, then you must nullify your “Resident Registration”. To do so;

Please apply for “notification of moving-out (転出届[tenshutsu todoke, てんしゅつとどけ] in Japanese)” just before you leave Japan, to the municipal office you are registered in.

You can apply for it by yourself / through your public agent. If you leave Japan without applying for “notification”, though, you can apply for it from abroad by yourself / through your public agent too.

YouAT LLC has Sumida Masanori Labor and Social Security Attorney & Administrative Scrivener as one of its members, so we can be a public agent to apply for "notification" for foreigners legally. We can give you services to serve you as a public agent to apply for "notification", no matter how you still stay in Japan or have already left Japan. Basically we set its fee to 5,000 yen.



合同会社YouATは、「住田正則 社会保険労務士・行政書士」が社員であり、転出届の代理申請を行うことができます。日本に在住、または日本から出国した外国人の皆さんのために、当社が代理人として転出届を申請するオプションを提供いたします。手数料は、基本料金5,000円で代理いたします。




合同会社YouAT里有“社会保险劳务士・行政书士的住田正则老师”,可以代办“転出届”。 为了住在日本,或已经离开日本的外国朋友,我们公司提供代办転出届的选项服务,该服务的手续费为5000日元/基本费用。具体说明请查看下面的手续费部分。


Pension topics
No need for face-to-face contact to claim your pension & tax refund
Note for over 10 year’s contributors and PR holders | 年金納付期間10年以上の方および永住者の方はご注意ください | 请注意!年金缴纳10年以上、以及日本永住者:
Read more

English video

Japanese pension (Nenkin) can claim for 10 years contribution.10年加入で厚生,国民年金は請求できます.